Saturday, December 1, 2012

Post From the Past #3

    We are still several weeks out from breaking the news, but there have been a few going-ons on the baby front. We had a consultation with one midwife last week and and another one this week, and this next lady will give us contact information so we can meet up with a few more. That way we have to time to decide who is going to be right for us before the prenatal check-ups begin. These meetings have been exciting since it's pretty much the only time Joey and I have been able to discuss baby stuff with anyone else really. But other than that, the main development has been the sudden onset of some wonderful pregnancy symptoms like nausea and fatigue. For some reason I never really considered that I would get morning sickness. I think it's because I hardly ever get ill. I didn't really think about the fact that morning sickness has absolutely nothing to do with your immune system. As annoying as the sudden waves of day-disrupting nausea have been, the one thing I am thankful for is that so far it's really the only way I can tell I'm pregnant. On my mom's advice, I stopped the prenatal vitamins to see if that helps out my stomach at all. I was planning on asking the midwife about them anyway, seeing as I'm not too keen on vitamins period. But so far everything is going well. I'm having some random strong cramps that scare the living daylights out of me every time they happen, but since they aren't accompanied by any bleeding or anything I'm trying not to stress out too much.  I'm just amazed that something so tiny is already requiring so much room! But Baby is growing super fast right now, so I guess that's all normal.
    A few months back I had asked a friend about recommendations for prenatal yoga books for my doula repertoire, and she suggested "Beautiful Bountiful Blissful." It's based on Iyengar yoga, which I have never really done, but she said it was excellent so I went ahead and ordered it. So far I have only read the first trimester part and it focuses on different meditation exercises. I have been spending some time each morning doing these to prepare my mind in addition to my regular practice. It's a good book and you really don't have to be a proficient yogi to use it, so I highly recommend it.
   Speaking of doula stuff. You may or may not have heard that my classes that were supposed to start a few weeks ago for my doula training got postponed to February due to not enough people signing up. Well, that may have been a blessing in disguise. You see, once you take the classes and start the process, you only have two years to get all of your practice births done or you have to start over completely. It would have been hard rushing off at all hours of the night trying to attend births with an infant of my own! So I will probably be putting off the doula training for a couple of years. While I am sad, I am grateful for all the preparation I have done since it will be very beneficial for my own pregnancy and birth.
   Other than that, there is not much else going on with Baby. It's getting slightly awkward socially since I have been refusing coffee and alcohol for over a month now. I fake it when I can and lie when absolutely necessary (sorry everyone!). I have switched from beer to fruity mixed drinks (and have learned to depend on the discretion of waitresses and bartenders) to help alleviate some doubt, but I'm not sure how long it will last. Also, now that nausea is setting in, I find that pregnancy stealth may become slightly more difficult. But we are still going to hold out for as long as possible. Until then, I guess I'll just keep writing posts and not posting them!




No comments:

Post a Comment